Our History

The Seymour Soldier’s Memorial Hospital was officially opened in May 1920 and was located in what was the former residence of Mr J.B. Bullen, a former manager of the Bank of Victoria.

The hospital was funded by public subscription and leased to Matron L.C. Rutherford to treat ex-servicemen from World War I.

In June 1951, over thirty years after it first opened, the hospital became a public community facility and plans were drawn for a new building.  The new 28-bed facility opened in 1959 and was officially named the Seymour District Hospital. In 1965, it was renamed the Seymour District Memorial Hospital.  At that time a six bed children’s ward was added.

A point of interest in the history of the hospital is the Memorial Gates, which bear the names of the district men who served in the "Great War" of 1914-1919.  The gates were originally unveiled in 1927, and were restored in 1966 and placed in their new location.  The gates are the focus of ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day services in Seymour and the district.

In 1966, the Edwin Russell Building was erected as the nurses’ accommodation home.  This building now houses the pathology and dental services.  In 1973,  seven additional beds were added to the Hospital.   The 20 bed Nursing Home Wing (Barrabill House) opened in 1980. A further 10 beds were commissioned in 1990.  The emergency Helipad was built in 1987, thanks to the generous donation of Richard and Androulla Glavocih. The Helipad allows for the use of the air ambulance for the emergency transportation of patients to Melbourne.

The present acute services complex was officially opened in October 1996, following an extensive $3.5 million redevelopment. The older building from 1959 now houses the operating suite services, delivery suites and radiology services areas.  In 2004, Bretonneux Street was purchased from the Mitchell Shire Council to enable its closure as a through street for the redevelopment of Barrabill House.  The Rural Ambulance Services building was relocated to its present site adjacent to the helipad in Callen Street in May 2005.

In preparation for the redevelopment, in January 2006 the portable buildings were relocated to the Callen Street side of the Hospital block and now form a permanent consulting complex for the delivery of outreach services by Mitchell Community Health Annexe.

The replacement $5.1m purpose built Residential Aged Care Services building was completed in 2006.

The $1.8m Ambulatory Care Centre (previously known as Community Rehabilitation Centre) stands on the old Ambulance site in Villers Street.

On 21 February 2007 the Community Services Building was officially opened.  This refurbishment houses the Planned Activity Group, training room, Video Conferencing & Education room, overnight doctor's accommodation, Palliative Care, Post Acute Care, District Nursing and Dialysis.

Building works to enhance access to the Emergency Department were completed in November 2009.

 

The name Seymour Health was officially gazetted by the Governor in Council on 12 July 2011.  This overarching name encompasses Seymour District Memorial Hospital, Barrabill House Residential Aged Care, Ambulatory Care Centre, Community Services and Goranwarrabul House.